Emotional eating is something I am guilty of, it’s a way to mask and comfort ourselves during stressful, crazy challenging times, eating our stresses away is not a healthy way of processing our feelings and situations we maybe facing.
Most of us are emotional eaters and we shove anything and everything we can find into our mouths, when we address the root cause we can then make healthier choices, and deal with what’s causing us to find love and comfort in food, we all have triggers that offset this habit.
A few factors that influence emotional eating:
- Hormonal imbalances
- High stress levels
- Major life events
- Anxiety of current or past situations.
Stop looking for love in your fridge and cupboards, here’s how:
- Buy healthy snacks and foods, foods with low sugar content or no sugar if possible.
- When tempted to eat something and you not hungry, drink water to hydrate, thirst is often disguised as hunger.
- Create a distraction for yourself, this is my personal favorite, keep a coloring book, paper and pen around, this is a fantastic tool, I forget about eating and redirect my energy to something else.
- Most importantly face the issue causing the emotional eating, ask yourself will I honestly feel better or worse after I eat all of that?
How to deal with the emotions you are facing.
- Speak up – talk about your emotions, this is a healthy way of dealing with emotional eating, talk to a counsellor or a close friend.
- Write about your feelings and emotions in a journal, this allows us to feel lighter and letting go is beneficial.
- Exercise – this increases your serotonin levels, boosting feel good emotions.
- Meditate – quiet time to listen to your thoughts, reflect on what’s truly going on, find time to reflect in stillness.
- Consult a Nutritionist, to gain a better understanding of what to eat, how to make better health decisions.
Are you an emotional eater? how do you manage this?